Tam has won nearly 20 awards for editorial excellence, seven of them in the last six years. In 2014, she was selected by the Foreign Press Center of Japan for a two-week fellowship covering technology in that country. She is active in the National Press Club, where she served three terms as chair of the freelance committee and now serves on the press freedom committee, and the American Society of Journalists and Authors, where she is co-chair of the D.C. chapter and serves on the advocacy and the contracts committees.
Jesse H. Neal Award for best editorial commentary, for a collection of editorials in Electronic Business
Given by American Business Media since 1955 to recognize and reward editorial excellence in business media publications, the Jesse H. Neal Awards have been called “the Pulitzer Prize of the business media.” A Neal Award is the industry’s most prestigious and sought-after editorial honor.
American Society of Business Publication Editors (ASBPE) Azbee Awards of Excellence
The Azbee Awards of Excellence recognize the best in editorial and design.
- For excellence in feature writing (specifically company profiles) for “Silicon Startups: Stanford Law School has a new role – as an incubator for innovative technology,” Law Technology News
- For excellence in feature writing on the Web for “Tech support’s NSFW problem: Help desk staffers can be caught in the middle when BYOD users get verrrry personal with their devices.” Computerworld
- For excellence in feature writing on the Web for “Age bias in IT: The reality behind the rumors,” Computerworld
- For excellence in a technical article for “Catch Me If You Can,” Law Technology News
- For excellence in feature writing on the Web for “Employee monitoring: When IT is asked to spy,” Computerworld
- For excellence in feature writing for “Making Waves in Washington,” Electronic Business
- For best profile of an individual for “Politically Correct Chairman Powell,” Electronic Business
Foreign Press Center of Japan Fellowship
- Awarded two-week fellowship by this non-profit foundation to support reporting on technology in Japan.
National Press Club Awards
- Three-time Vivian Award recipient, for contributions to the Club as chairperson of the NPC Freelance Committee.
Pearl Awards for excellence in custom publications
Sponsored by the Content Council, Pearl Awards are given to custom content companies for excellence in journalism, design and execution of integrated marketing strategies.
- For editorial excellence for Secured, a magazine on Internet security published by McMurry
- For best new publication launch for BizTech, a magazine on information technology for small businesses published by The Magazine Group for CDW
Awards bestowed for publishing excellence by the Western Publishing Association.
- For best overall business and finance coverage, Electronic Business
- For best special theme issue, Electronic Business
Cahners Publishing Medal of Excellence Awards
- Four awards for editorial excellence during 10 years at Electronic Business magazine
Asian Sources Media Group Awards
- Two awards – Writer of the Year and Editor of the Year – during three years at Computer Sources magazine